- What data do you collect/store? What servers does your app talk to?
- I installed the app directly on my Apple Watch and it says to install the app on my phone
- How do I get Siri Shortcuts working on my Apple Watch?
- I updated the app on my iPhone, and it has disappeared from my watch
- The sound from my watch is very quiet
- I’m in Italy and can’t log in
- My Amazon Echos are being triggered when I say “Alexa” to my watch.
- My Watch thinks I’m in the wrong location. How do I set my location?
- The app is not on my Apple Watch, what should I do?
- How do I install the app on my watch screen?
- I can’t login with the code from the watch, what should I do?
- The screen keeps turning off on my Apple Watch, what should I do?
- The Apple Watch app isn’t working or is very slow, what should I do?
- The iPhone app isn’t working, what should I do?
- Who is behind Voice in a Can?
- My question isn’t answered, what should I do?
What data do you collect/store? What servers does your app talk to?
The app only communicates with Amazon servers, both during login, and during normal use, except when playing your flash briefing. We don’t collect anything because we run no servers that are used by the app.
The app does stream data from non-Amazon servers when streaming your daily flash briefing, using a URL provided by the Amazon Voice Service.
I installed the app directly on my Apple Watch and it says to install the app on my phone
I’ve had a handful of people report that they installed the app on their watch using the WatchOS 6 App Store, and it is telling them to install the app on their phone, even though they have done so. I don’t yet know why this is happening, but the following steps appear to work:
- Uninstall the Voice in a Can app from your watch by tapping the digital crown, and then long-pressing the Voice in a Can app icon until an "x" appears on the icon and tap that "x" to delete the app from the watch:
If you are showing your apps in a list you will first need to show them in a grid by hard-pressing the screen when it is showing the list and select "Grid View" and then follow the above instructions
- Uninstall the Voice in a Can app from your phone if it is installed by long-pressing the icon on your phone and selecting "Delete App":
- Restart both your phone and your watch (click those links for Apple's instructions). I think you can get away with just restarting your phone, but I'm not 100% sure.
- Reinstall the app on your phone from the app store on your phone
- Use the "Apple Watch" app on your phone to install Voice in a Can on your watch. If it is not listed please ensure you installed Voice in a Can on your phone per step 3, and try restarting your phone
- Once it has finished installing, it should show as installed:
- Now try launching it on the watch.
How do I get Siri Shortcuts working on my Apple Watch running WatchOS 6?
I’ve put together this video showing how to set up a Siri Shortcut on your iPhone running iOS 13, so that you can say “Alexa” to launch Voice in a Can (it starts listening automatically)
Wait a moment and Apple will transfer the shortcut to your watch, and assuming you have enabled Siri to listen when you raise your wrist, you should be able to raise your wrist to your mouth and say “Alexa” and the app will launch and start listening.
Feel free to email me (email@example.com) if you have any additional tips on setting up Siri Shortcuts, or if you are still stuck.
I updated the app on my iPhone, and it has disappeared from my watch
This can happen if you’ve updated your iPhone to the latest version of iOS, but you’ve not updated your watch to the latest version of WatchOS.
Please check in the Apple Watch app on your phone: General, Software Update.
The latest update of Voice in a Can for Apple Watch targets WatchOS 5 (to support Siri Shortcuts), however Apple have announced that WatchOS 5 is not supported on the first generation Apple Watch, which means the latest update of Voice in a Can will not install on first generation Apple Watches.
The sound from my watch is very quiet
I’ve had 3-4 people report this.
Apple don’t give control of the system volume to apps, so the level of sound is outside of the app’s control, which I understand doesn’t help you much.
Please check the sound level on the watch under Settings|Sound and Haptics. Please also check if other non-Apple apps are similarly quiet (ie. not Siri or music), if you have other third-party apps installed.
If all third-party apps are quiet then the only solution that I’m aware of is to reset your Apple watch and re-pair it. I appreciate that this is rather drastic, but I’ve had reports from people that had no sound, or low sound for third-party apps that this addressed the issue. You could also try re-starting your watch.
If other apps are not also quiet then please report the issue per the section below.
I’m in Italy and can’t log in
Please try using this URL to login: https://amazon.com/it/code
My Amazon Echos are being triggered when I say “Alexa” to my watch.
There is no need to say “Alexa” once the app has launched, just tap the button and speak.
If you are using Siri Shortcuts, then I suggest recording a different invocation phrase.
My Watch thinks I’m in the wrong location. How do I set my location?
Use the Amazon Alexa app on your phone, and go to Settings|Devices. Along with all your physical Amazon Echos, you should see Voice in a Can listed. It will be shown as Offline unless it is actually running on your watch. You can change its location as with any other device, in the Amazon Alexa app.
The app is not on my Apple Watch, what should I do?
Watch this video which shows how to install it. If you are not seeing Voice in a Can listed as an app that you can install, or if it keeps spinning but never installs we suggest restarting your phone and/or your app. This isn’t something under our control, it is Apple’s software that handles the install.
Putting the watch and the phone on the charger seems to speed up app install too.
How do I install the app on my watch screen?
You can set it as a complication by hard-pressing the watch screen when the clock face is displayed, as shown here.
I can’t login with the code from the watch, what should I do?
Ensure that the app keeps active (that the screen doesn’t go off) when it is displaying the code.
The screen keeps turning off on my Apple Watch, what should I do?
We recommend increasing the timeout on your watch, under Settings|General|Wake Screen. This video shows how:
The Apple Watch app isn’t working or is very slow, what should I do?
The speed of the connection of your watch to the internet is key here. If the watch is connected to your phone, then Apple channels all communication between the watch and the internet via your phone, over a slow bluetooth connection, so you’ll see the best results when your watch is on Wifi or Cellular. See this link to tell what your phone is using.
If you are still seeing unexpected behavior:
- Open the app on your phone (and just leave it there running)
- Open the app on your watch
- Hard-press the screen on your watch when the app is running
- Tap the “Send-feedack…” button
- On your phone an email should be generated … please send it and I’ll look at the attached log
The iPhone app isn’t working, what should I do?
Tap the settings cog in the iphone app, and choose Feedback. Your phone should then pop up an email in which you can describe the issue and tap send. Note it will include a log with diagnostic information.
Who is behind Voice in a Can?
My question isn’t answered, what should I do?
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a side-project, so I’ll try to reply when I can.